Headaches and Migraine
Almost everyone you know will have suffered from a headache at some point of time in their life. While headaches range from mild to severe, migraines are generally severe in nature.
Headaches are often caused by problems elsewhere in the body, some common causes of headaches are:
- Tension and infection of the gums and teeth
- Overacidity (pain of the eyeball)
- Gastritis (pain of the eye socket)
- Inflammation of the stomach
- Urinary tract disorder
- Disorder of the brain and spinal nerve, among others…
What are Migraines?
Ayurveda diagnoses Migraine in a different way. The remedy is based on the method of diagnosis in which the nervous system and brain function of a person is considered to be controlled by one of the three body humors called Vata. Imbalance in the Vata leads to problems such as migraine and other type of headaches.
Ayurveda aims to remove the true causes of headache and create a true and lasting healing rather just mere suppression of symptoms.
The usual causes of this condition are considered to be:
- Poor metabolism
- Mental and physical stress
- Long hours in front of the television
- Reading with inadequate light and insomnia.
What Ayurvedic remedies can help with headaches and migraines?
- Apply a fresh paste of sandalwood to the forehead. Rub after letting it dry and wash
- Drink a glass of warm water with honey or fill the stomach completely with water
- Have a regular routine of life – The body (specifically the nervous system) is healthy if it is nurtured through timely meals, sleep with adequate work and exercise. Hectic routines have a deep effect on Vata.
- Eat warm foods and sip warm water throughout the day. Heat helps in balancing Vata in the body
- An Ayurvedic massage with a proper herbalized oil helps balance the Vata in the body and thus reduces headaches and migraines.
- Practice regular meditation and yoga asanas
- A more detailed medication for migraine is through Panchkarma that includes pre-purification therapy, purification techniques, diet regulations and lifestyle changes.
Disclaimer: The above should be done only under an Ayurvedic practitioner.